When stained glass was used in churches, mosques, and palaces over a thousand years ago, tints and films weren’t available. But today, window tinting and films are available to anyone who wants a convenient, affordable retrofit for energy efficiency and privacy. Here’s what you need to know.
What To Know Before You Invest in Home Window Tinting
Window tinting has long been used in vehicles to protect cars and trucks from weather extremes, but today, it’s a popular home retrofit material to keep out the heat without blocking out the light.
Window tinting is a plastic film that can be placed on windows for energy efficiency. It’s available in a variety of colours, shades, and tints. And, used on the exterior of your home, it can provide added privacy from the street.
How Home Window Tinting Works
Window tinting is simply installed on the exterior of window glass, then laminated with a clear-dry film to create a finished surface.
The tinting seals the interior of your home from the heat and light outside but still allows fresh air to circulate into the house.
Tinting can also block out blinding sunlight, making it a perfect option for rooms with light-sensitive occupants like babies, children, and adults who are recovering from surgery or a medical procedure.
In addition, window tinting can help you save energy and reduce your heating, cooling, and lighting bills by keeping hot summer sun out of your home or keeping cool morning sun from heating your home in the morning.
DIY or Hire a Professional?
Low-tint products are available at most hardware and big box home improvement stores, so you can apply them yourself.
But professionals usually have the tools they do the job best, so if you need a window tinting job done correctly, hire a professional.
When you hire a professional to install window tinting for you, it’s important to know that the professional you hire should have taken training courses and be experienced with window tinting.
Benefits of Home Window Tinting
Window tinting offers some great benefits:
- It’s an affordable, permanent solution for keeping heat out and cool in during high summertime temperatures.
- It adds privacy for homeowners who are bothered by unsolicited visitors.
- It can help you save energy dollars by keeping out the heat and reducing cooling and lighting costs.
- It’s an easy DIY job for homeowners who are mechanically inclined and know how to install the film.
- It results in cleaner windows that don’t require wet cleaning.
- It reduces glare and reflection from the sun while still allowing light in through your windows.
- It’s a great option for rooms with light-sensitive occupants like babies, children, or adults who are recovering from surgery.
- It’s a great option for areas with large windows, like sunrooms or conservatories.
- It’s a great option for large private residences, condos, and apartment buildings.
Window tinting has a variety of benefits and applications. Whether you’re looking for a way to create a more private, secure, and comfortable living environment, or you’re looking for ways to save energy, window tinting may be a good choice for you.
If you’re interested in window tinting for your home, take a look at the many window tinting options available, and then talk to a local professional about the right product and application for your home.
Should you need home window tinting in Sydney, come to Premier Tint. For over 20 years, Premier Tint has been the leader in window film applications, graphic design, and signage applications.